Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Rembrandt Cyberangels Ascend from New York Subways

“A ladder was standing on the ground, and its top reached up toward heaven, and angels were going up and down on it.” (Genesis 28:12). 

Since angels first go up before they go down, they must start their ascent from the lowest of places.  In New York City, perhaps angels fly up from the subways.  It seemed like a great idea to paint on subway posters and silk-screen print on them digitized Rembrandt angels and spiritual messages from underground.
I called the company that places advertising posters in subway cars and asked if I could have some of them.  They invited me to come to their warehouse and take posters left over after they were placed in subways trains.  I chose fifty different placards on which I painted and silk-screened printed angels and spiritual messages based upon Hebrew word play.
 
 
Read the conceptual background for my creating the Subway Angels series at http://www.melalexenberg.com/about-the-artwork.php?id=32 and see more images. 

It is from my book Through a Bible Lens: Biblical Insights for Smartphone Photography and Social Media.

Rembrandt and Chagall Angels of Peace Meet in Jerusalem

  Two Faces of Israel's Supreme Court Building Speak to Israel Today  The dialogic architecture of the Supreme Court building in Jerus...